Occupational therapy and the macabre!

This is a blog entry for Halloween, but I just couldn't wait.

My daughter was recently assigned some Edgar Allan Poe to read - and I immediately assumed it would be one of his most famous poems or short stories. I was surprised to find that she was assigned one of his more esoteric stories which of course caused me to launch into a lecture on the state of education today, blah blah blah - you know, the kind of story that makes teenage daughters roll their eyes.

I told her that additionally it was important to read 'classic' Poe and referred her to "The Raven" and "Annabel Lee" and "The Tell Tale Heart" and "The Fall of the House of Usher." Then I thought I better read them all again myself so I can talk to her about what I just asked her to read. It had been years since I picked up Edgar Allan Poe...

I found quite the surprise while reading these old Poe classics! Mandatory reading assignment for today is "The Fall of the House of Usher." Written in 1839, it talks about occupations and sensory processing disorder - all mixed in with a Gothic twist. What a treat!

Let me know what you think!

file under: surprising finds

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deconstructing the myth of clothing sensitivity as a 'sensory processing disorder'

On retained primitive reflexes

Twenty years of SIPT - where do we go next?